Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another Notch on the Rolling Pin!

I DID IT!
I MADE MY FIRST WEDDING CAKE!

And it was SOOO EASY (wink wink)

Well, it was a learning experience and I really had fun. I won't elaborate on what went on behind the scenes but I will say that this cake had a good 27 hours of labor put into it between
my Sis-in-Law Jodie and I. She baked the middle layer (white velvet with Lemon Curd and Raspberry fillings) and cut, frosted, and assembled all the layers (The other two were carrot cake with Italian Buttercream frosting with homemade Praline crushed in it, which Jodie also made). She also packed them in dry ice and hauled them to St. George all ready for me to decorate. What an Angel!
I am totally going to freeze all my cakes before I decorate them from now on. They are so easy to work with that way. I am still not converted to Scratch Cake yet, I love my doctored cake mix recipes too much.

It might be a tad ironic but I really don't like to eat cake at all! So not worth the calories!


Jodie also made the Cake stand which we originally planned to be all green flowers but on account that it was the day after Valentines we had to approach the flower situation a bit differently. She did get a great discount on what she could find. I ended up using tulips, lilies, and green carnations for the flowers even though I had intended on using roses and hydrangeas. I decided the tulips rocked. Not a huge fan of Red Roses (Thanks Bachelor). Unfortunately, I'm not the best flower arranger and in hind sight realize I totally needed to make the flowers on the middle layer only as big as the layer above it or the flowers on the bottom bigger or a little of both. But The flowers were done in such a hurry, I'm just going to have to forgive myself.

Oh Well, on to the next cake, or should I say cakes... I'm doing two in the next 10 days. I could do this everyday, I'm so excited!


These are my cupcakes with Chocolate Clay hearts and flowers...They were super Yummy! White Chocolate Almond cake made from a mix!
Thanx, Katherine and Lauren for helping with the decor. This pic Sucks so you can't see how pretty they were with their green shimmer dust.


This middle layer practically gave me a coronary! I am so not good at random. I painted it with shimmer dust and lemon extract. Not my fave layer but I learned a ton (like Royal Icing is stupid no matter what the cake book says).

I won't tell you how many times it took me to get this bottom layer right...Okay 5, but next time it will only be once.

The top layer was the easiest but I was originally going to put clusters of three pearls together instead of the little flowers. Anyways, I didn't have enough edible pearls but I still needed to use them to tie the bottom and the top together so I used them in the center of the flowers. And the little flowers helped tie the cupcakes to the cake too.









4 comments:

FamiLee said...

I have been waiting ang waiting for this! Thanks for posting!

FamiLee said...

That cake is soooooooo amazing! Wow! Good Job!

wendymb said...

AManda, That was THEE most amazing cake I have ever seen!! You are so talented and generous for putting in the time to make it so perfect. I know Susan was humbled and thrilled by you.

tracey said...

I can't even believe this cake is edible. It is definitely too beautiful to cut into! What were they thinking. Wow! I can't even imagine... and if you are bad at "random" what does that make me??
Beautiful job!